Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Corner bead router cutter

On 22 Nov 2005 14:47:48 -0800, "
wrote:

Sorry the 'only pine' bit was meant to indicate that it was soft wood
rather than hardwood. I jealously guard some old pine I have and use
it carefully !!

So in summary - I'm not going to get the router cutter I want ! And
should therefore invest in a spindle moulder ! Hmm - that's not
really an option is it?

Could be. There are secondhand ones around that don't conform to
latest safety legislation or have been traded in. It becomes an
issue of space and cost.

A round bead + V cutter is not recommended so
perhaps what I'm going to have to look at is a routed round bead and a
cutter for the moulding plane, possibly shaping the cutter myself. I'm
not really that enthusiastic about scratching.

I do suppose it's not possible to modify a router to do spindle
moulding ?

The closest would be a router in a router table. If you have a
proper 1800-2000W 12.7mm one, you might find a router cutter that's
good enough.

Typical spindle moulder tooling which can take cutters of the type
being discussed is this type of thing

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=20842&recno=1

There isn't really a safe and sensible way to fit that to a router,
and the drive is normally through a belt on a spindle moulder.

If you don't have a lot to do, I guess the next option would be to
find a joinery place willing to make the knives and run the pieces.

--

..andy