Posted to alt.home.repair
Dennis Brothers

Default Mounting a wiring panel on a chimney

"Bill" wrote in message
From what I have read, you need to have a 2" air gap between a chimney and
wood framing. So I would assume that would include a 2" air gap to any
combustible material. And I would certainly not be drilling any holes in
the chimney.

"Most codes require a 2" air space around the chimney"...
http://www.foardpanel.com/index_file...nd%20vents.pdf

Thanks for the link - interesting reading. As a practical matter, what I'm
thinking of is probably safe, because the panel would be below the level of
the actual fireplace flue, and there's over a foot of brick and mortar
between the fireplace cavity and the surface I want to mount the panel on.
But, as the article points out, the code doesn't take factors like that into
consideration.

Time for Plan B.

- Dennis Brothers