Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

Default New HD TV, what to buy

In article ,
JANA wrote:
You should buy a size according to your needs. Any new set purchased
should be an HDTV type. I myself don't like the DLP, or any type of
rear screen technology. They just don't have the performance of the
direct view. If you compare the sharpness and illumination between the
rear screen and direct view, there is a very big difference. There is
also a difference in the price. You get what you pay for.

I've got a DLP rear projector. Sitting down, the angle of view is
perfectly adequate for a family - after all with a 50" screen you don't
have to sit on top of it. Stand up and you go off axis, though, but surely
TV is watched sitting down?

As regards resolution, it's far better than any domestic CRT set - genuine
HD ready. Illumination on full power is also higher on axis - in fact I'm
using the low power lamp setting and have reduced the contrast from
default.

Its main fault is the lack of a true black in low key scenes - everything
looks slightly sat up. However, you don't get a true black in the cinema
either.

There are some movement artifacts sometimes. More obvious to some than
others. Later 3 chip DLP technology should help this.

These things are personal, but I far prefer it to any Plasma I've seen.

Of course a CRT to an equivalent spec would be better - but such a thing
doesn't exist and would need a crane to install if it did.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.