Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin

Default A question about steady rests

Here is a question that has been nagging at me for some time. It's kinda
like that piece of popcorn stuck in your tooth that, try as you might, won't
come out with tongue work alone.

Let's say you are turning a chair leg about 20 some inches long. Now this
leg is gonna flex and vibrate about halfway down as you are turning it. The
solution, I guess, is to use a steady rest. the steady rest will have 2 -3
wheels that ride against an already rounded part of the piece, in effect
limiting the amount of flexing and providing for a smooth turning
experience. The question has to do with using the rest. Do you first round
off a part of the leg, apply the rest, round some more, and move the rest
down to the newly rounded bit?