Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Manufacturer Supplied Replacement Parts-Delta DP350 [OT Rant-Sort Of]

"Greg G." wrote in message

Case in point. Delta DP350 drill press - Chinese POS I should have
run from, but I got hooked by the 'demo' half price deal. Minor
amount of usage, but it has already had Reeves pulley failure and
several electrical failures in the 8 hours of so of use it has seen.

This time? Chinese power switch failure caused by an improperly
crimped supply lead overheating and melting the switch internals.
Result - melted switch and a useless machine.

Check with Delta - they want $16.35 for a Chinese Kedu* switch that
costs $2.05. Backordered and out of stock - E.T.A. - 4 months!
You've got to be kidding me! Talk about a slow boat from China...

I hear you Greg but controlling inventory having been my specialty when I
was in the automotive business, quantity purchasing brings the cost down.
A $2 part that sells once every 2 or 3 years is wasting space on the shelf
if the mark up, "gross profit" is not up to par with parts that are taking
up the same space and turning 3 to 6 times a year. Unfortunately being out
of stock does not bring the price down. Parts prices are predetermined by
the actual cost, the room they occupy and how many times they will sell
during a year. If the sell price is too low it may not warrant being
stocked at all if it is a slow mover. Then factor in the fact that it may
suddenly start having a high failure rate and you can not find one at any
price.

I would say, if you can, by pass the faulty switch and install a good
quality one at a much cheaper cost some where else on the stand or machine.