Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default Undermount Sink: MDF?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:56:02 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

| I've ordered an undermount sink for the kitchen. The worktops are
| going to be granite, and the granite supplier suggested fitting the
| sink to the base unit with MDF, such that the lip of the sink is the
| same height as the top of the carcass.
|
| Has anyone had any experience of MDF in this situation? Isn't it prone
| to damage by water? Wouldn't treated chipboard (or even an off cut of
| the old worktop) be better?

The bit of MFD under my sink is still good after 20 years.
The bit of flooring MFD under my Hot water tank, has failed drastically. I
had a slight leak, which was covered by the fibreglass jacket and the tank
was suddenly an inch lower than it should have been. :-( The MFD flooring
under the ex-boiler needs replacing, condensation got at it. I think the
bit under the washing machine needs replacing as well.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?