Posted to uk.d-i-y
keith_765

Default Roof eaves/outer wall detail

"Pufter" wrote in message

4square Wrote:
On my 1960's house, the eaves soffit boards are level with top of
first floor windows - fairly common, I think. However, I get the
impression from looking from inside the loft that while the concrete
lintel over the top of the window frame supports the inner layer of
brickwork, there is no outer layer of brick/blockwork - there doesnt
look room for it under slope of roof. This means, that inside the
first floor rooms, the brickwork over the windows - about 300mm high
-
is only one layer thick, which is probably why it seems to create
cold
surfaces of condensation, etc. Am I right in this conclusion, and
is
there any way to help insulate the area over the windows? Advice much
appreciated.

My house is the same - about 300mm of blockwork above the window on the
inside, the top of the window is level with the soffitt on the outside.
When I had new windows put in there was just a gap above the window
frame into the loft above. The window frame pretty much filled this,
with a piece of quadrant/sealer around the top, & sides. Never really
thought about the heat loss consequences of this, but i've never had
any problems with condensation or anything.

--
Pufter

I think the cause of the problem is cold air hitting the inner wall skin. It
was general practise in the 60s to lay fibreglass on top of the ceiling up
to the edge of the roof slope. Present day regs, the insulation is taken
over the wall plate and meets a vertical layer on the outer skin of the
inner wall to stop cold air causing condensation on the inner wall. If you
can get some fibreglass over the wall plate and down to the top of the outer
wall, this should cure the problem. There should be enough room to thread
insulation between the underlay felt and the wall plate. It might be better
to get some 50mm or 2" fibre glass bats or polystyrene sheet, they will be
stiffer and should be easier to push down.