Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

Default bathroom door opening direction

Larry Bud wrote:
Jess wrote:

I'm building a new bathroom in my basement. It seems all the bathrooms
I've seen, the door opens INTO the bathroom. Is there a reason for
this? Would it be odd for my bathroom door to open out?

I think since bathrooms are so small (mine too), that I would like the
opening of the door space to be consumed by the room outside the
bathroom instead of inside the bathroom.

I have a small bathroom in the middle of my house and the door opens
out, not into the bathroom.

I have a large master bath, but it contains a small hall with a closet,
so to avoid the doors conflicting, the door opens into the bedroom. I
could have opened the closet to the bedroom, but then you lose a whole
wall that you could have put furniture in. This door also opens up
against a wall, so it does not get in the way.

If it is not ridiculous to have the door open out[safety etc], why not?

It is much better to hang a door in a way that works than 'conventional'

i also hate when you see the toilet immediately upon opening the door,
so I have two baths with doors that swing into the room, in what is an
odd way, but it avoids whoops factor, more time to say, "occupado!"