Posted to alt.home.repair
L. M. Rappaport

Default Skylights?

For what it's worth, I think you've gotten a lot of good advice so
far. There are two types of skylights - fixed and moveable. The
movable types allow ventilation, but should have screens if you are in
a climate with bugs. (who isn't?) If you are concerned with
lightening a dark room, I'd suggest fixed as they are more watertight.
We have Andersons and they have never leaked or sweated (be sure to
get double glass - they don't seem to sweat even in bathrooms).

Also fwiw, I think if you're in a hot climate, central air adds more
to the value of a house, but if you're only there for five years, and
the house is already built, adding central air is expensive and you
might not get your money out, particularly if the housing "bubble"
bursts.

I think it's impossible to tell you whether a kitchen renovation would
be a better investment without seeing the existing kitchen.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

On 21 Nov 2005 18:56:54 -0800, "phaeton"
wrote (with possible editing):

Will be buying a house soon, house will be needing a new roof and the
seller and we appear to have found a monetary agreement towards the
roof.....

Anyways, for now we might have the roof repaired (it has a leak or
two), and later have it all stripped off (both courses of shingles) and
have a standing-seam metal roof put on. The entire upstairs is a
vaulted-cathedral ceiling and a set of skylights would be very very
nice in that room...

Should skylights go in before, during, or after a new roof is put on?

Are skylights typically put in by roofers, or is this a general
contractor type of job?

Are skylights just an invitation for more trouble down the road
(thermal efficiency, another spot to leak, etc)?

Any thoughts on the remote-controlled, vented/shaded skylights? Look
cool, but how well do they seal when closed?

Is it too regional/situational (I'm outside of Madison WI) to ask an
approximate cost of what skylights are to put in? They (and the roof)
would be put on by professional hire- I won't be doing them myself....

thanks for any and all!