Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skylights?

A quality skylight correctly installed can be a great addition. It's
true, that they are one more item that you have to deal with. They
need to be cleaned occasionally. Also, if you have trees around the
house, it's possible a falling branch could break them. Plus,
eventually, like all windows, they will have to be replaced at some
point way down the road.

I have Velux and highly recommend them. I have the electrically
operated ones and am very happy with that aspect too. I would get
either fixed ones or go the motorized route. I would not get the ones
that open with a hand crank, as I think you will find you will rarely
open them if you need to use a crank. Plus, the electric ones will
close automatically at the first few drops of rain.