Gordy

Default blue steel for carving tools?

(JMartin957) wrote in message ...
I agree. Spring steel is not the steel of choice. Good tools are made
of tool steel. You can purchase small pieces of hardend tool steel
from L.S. Starrett. You may find some sizes that are what you kneed
and would not have to harden it yourself.

I think you'll find that the tool steel is sold in the annealed, or soft,
condition. Machine and then harden.

John Martin

Well, if you look real hard, you will see that Starrett does sell,
hardened and ground tool steel. They are generally not in the business
of selling raw material. However, they may also sell un-hardened tool
steel also. My comments were ment to assist if the original posting
does not have the equipment or expertiese to harden and temper tool
steel.

Of course it is possible to make wood working tool out of almost any
available material. In additoin to "blue steel" a bed frame is also a
good source of hardend steel that is useful for wood working tools.

Pre-hardened tool steel is only an option that may not be known be
everyone.

Gordy