Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

Default Repairing Door.

On 21 Nov 2005 23:22:19 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

I have Douglas Fir paneled entry (exterior) door that has rot on the
lower center stile. Some wood worm holes on the middle center stile and
what appears to a new bottom rail (10 inches high) made out of a some
sort of yellow pine. The door is curved and getting a replacement is
going to be very hard. So I am left in the position of having to repair
it. I am looking for suggestions on how to stop the rot and wondering
if I can fill the damage with something so i don't have to replace the
center stile. Also what would be a good filler for the woodworm holes.
The door will be repainted when I am done.

First, stop the rot, then fill with epoxy.
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/rotrepair.htm

There are many epoxy wood filler kits available nowadays which would
repair your door prior to repainting. DAGS on "epoxy wood filler" for
lots of hits.
http://www.google.com/search?num=100...xy+wood+filler

Second-best might be a polyester filler like Bondo, but it won't last
as long or be as sturdy.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen