Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Default Repairing Door.

wrote:
I have Douglas Fir paneled entry (exterior) door that has rot on the
lower center stile. Some wood worm holes on the middle center stile
and what appears to a new bottom rail (10 inches high) made out of a
some sort of yellow pine. The door is curved and getting a
replacement is going to be very hard. So I am left in the position of
having to repair it. I am looking for suggestions on how to stop the
rot and wondering if I can fill the damage with something so i don't
have to replace the center stile. Also what would be a good filler
for the woodworm holes. The door will be repainted when I am done.

Dig out all rot, drill numerous small holes in the nearby surrounding
wood and fill them with a thinned epoxy (lacquer thinner, acetone) to
firm up adjacent wood. As it is absorbed, add more epoxy until holes
remain filled flush. To fill what you have dug out - also worm holes -
mix epoxy with a thickener (fine saw dust will do) and slather into
holes. If you removed substantial wood, you can fit a wood dutchman and
glue in with epoxy before filling to save on epoxy.

Since you are going to be refinishing, it wouldn't hurt to also drizzle
thinned epoxy into all joints where water could enter/penetrate.

Sand and paint.

A general epoxy info & source...
http://www.westsystem.com/

Non boat useage...
http://www.westsystem.com/frames/tier1/usesforepoxy.htm

A specific "how to" for a repair similar to yours...
http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/19/Quick_Fix.html

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...