Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default finishing cherry sofa table

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

It's been a long while since I had to finish a cherry table top.
This is an 11" wide sofa table, which will serve as the
holder of coffee cups, drinks, and a small poodle.
I'd like a medium glossy finish which would be able to stand up
to the drinks and moitsure, but not be super glossy.

How does Waterlox rank in terms of this?

Short on UV inhibitors, which you might want. "Spar" type varnishes are
longer on oil for flexibility and also have UV inhibitors added. Something
that's going to see direct sun would benefit from both. Use a coaster.

Shine can always be cut back by roughening the slick surface. Some people
also use satin varnish, but the internal scatter doesn't appeal to me.