Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default Antifreeze in the Oil filler!..

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:25:37 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
I would not got the full 10,000 miles or whatever till the next change

I wouldn't do that anyway - change the oil more frequently
than recommended. If it says 6,000 miles, change at 4,000
and if it says 10,000 change at 6,000. Use good oil, too.
Take note of time intervals between changes on little-used
cars as well.

Don't see why. Despite oil change intervals being 20,000 miles now with
some, engines last longer than ever. Excepting things like cam belt
failures, etc, which are rarely due to lubrication issues. Many cars these
days have a service indicator system which takes into account the car's
use and adjusts the change intervals accordingly. I'd agree with the time
limit part - but most service schedules will advise on this anyway.

I can remember when cars would need a complete engine overhaul - rebore
and crank grind etc perhaps twice in their life - despite 1000 mile oil
changes. Now you'd have to look quite hard to find a firm capable of doing
such a job.

And some engines use particular materials or surface processes that
make rebores and regrinds effectively impossible (even if you could
get the appropriately sized bearings and pistons)