Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default New Water Meters

asalcedo wrote:
[snip]

Thank you for your comments. I think I have now enough information to
proceed.

As mentioned above, my situation is that the flat I am renting is part
of the whole house, it is actually where the house keeper used to
live.

I don't need that space and it has been easy to rent it out because if
fully independent from the rest of the property (different front door,
separate bathroom, kitchen, etc)

At the moment I am renting it with all utilities included. I do have a
separate electricity meter for that flat but no water meter.

My small shock the other day was that the water bill was way above
what was expected considering the number of people in the house (plus
flat).

I am pretty confident that charging utilities at cost is going to be
found acceptable by any future tenant.

And yes, after looking at all the complicated plumbing and pipes in
the garage, where the mains and boilers are, I can identify the two
pipes that feed the cold and hot water for the flat.

Now that I know that a meter can be purchased and easily installed and
that it is done for different purposes I will go ahead and do that.

Regards,

Antonio

Wouldn't it be better to just put the rent up to £5 a week more, I'm quite
sure this would work out more than the tenant paying for the water?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite