Posted to alt.home.repair

Default loud neighbour

but as I am writing this e-mail, I can still hear his TV on (he's
watching Star
Wars).

I had numerous similar problems with neighbors. My apartment lease had
a clause saying that after 10 pm and before 8 am, no noices disturbing
to neighbors.

The first incident, I would leave a note on their door explaining that
I was sure they didn't realize it, but their television/stereo/video
games, etc was keeping me awake at night and please to use use these
things at night *at all*. Low volume didn't help, because the sound
travels easily through the floor and ceiling.

Typically, this works for a few weeks, at least a little, then they go
back to their normal behavior. Another note results in no change in
behavior. A complaint to the apartment complex results in another
note, which again quiets them down for a few weeks, whereupon they go
back to the same behavior. The next complaint from the apartment
complex has no effect. The next note says they have X days to comply
or they will be evicted. This gets their attention. For a while.

The apartment management told me this pattern is typical.

My advice is that after the first nice attempt to get them to quiet
down, be ruthless. Complain to the apartment management after every
instance, so that their file is full of evidence that can be used to
evict them. Even so, the process could take months...terrible way to
live.

Back to your original question, you can find sound insulating
techniques and supplies he

http://www.soundproofing.org/