C.W. THomas

Default Fireplace Mortar vs. Fire Clay

A regular one from a home furnace ...

"MikeM" wrote in message
om...
"C.W. THomas" wrote in message

Hi;

No you wouldn't want to use fireplace morter in the greensand mix unless

you
only want to use it once. I built an oil fired furnace which I've melted

5-7
lbs of cast iron and all manner of aluminum and brass for the last 5

years.
I used firebrick and regular portland mortar. The bottom has about 2

inches
of loose sand so I can clean up dross and molten spills. The thing is

made
from on old water heater. the only problem is the top occasionally sheds
bits of fire brick and morter. But it still works fine after 5 years...

Have fun.

Cheers;

C.W. Thomas

Sounds interesting, what kind of oil burner are you using?
Mike.