Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam?

wrote:

Is there really a difference between like an 8 or 10 pound foam carpet
pad versus an 8 or 10 pound memory pad? I am confused after visiting
some carpet stores in the area.

Input?

Thanks!
Angie

Angie,

I don't consider myself an expert but I have installed carpet and have
all the tools. I've removed some old carpet which had a cheap type of
plastic foam which left marks on the floor. Lowes/Home Depot sells two
grades which I believe is different pounds. The difference is how soft
the carpet will be underneath. I use the best/thickest and it works
well but if I carpet a room that's not used very much I would use the
lighter padding. Some here might disagree with me, but I would never
accept the advice of a salesman getting paid on commission. I wanted to
learn to do this myself so I found a DVD set on EBay that explained
carpet installation in great detail. I then purchased the tools and did
it myself. It can't be done without some special tools which by the way
you can rent. Good luck.

Joey