Charles A. Sherwood

Default New Rockwell lathe and some questions about it.

Don, I've got one too, and it specifically calls for Texaco Regal
Starfak #2 grease on the lubrication plate. The gear train, by the
way, calls for Texaco Marfak #0 grease. An equivalent would be open
gear grease, which is designed to stand the high pressure and stay in
place.

Can you recommend a brand and a greasing procedure?

Mechanical variable speed systems do tend to be inefficient.
But stopping quickly may save you from damage some day, so don't
complain about that. How did you stop it? Asked the VFD to stop it?

I have my VFD set to "coast to stop" and it still stops pretty quick.
The problem is really not stopping, its starting. I have to set a lot
of torque boost to make it start if the mechanical VS is set above
1000 RPM. I'm using a westinghouse Teco unit which allows a custom
VF curve. I set min voltage to 10%, mid point voltage to 40% and
max to 87%. The 87% is required because I'm running a 208V motor
on 240V. My past experience of running a 208 V motor on 240V is they
run quite HOT. So anyway this gives me adequate starting torque, but
I really cannot run the motor at less that 30Hz or I will probably
burn it out.

BTW. I bought this machine from DIck T. it Detroit too!
Great guy to deal with, but don't spread it around. I want first dibs
on the best machines!

Thanks for the help
chuck