Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default removing bricks from a wall?

CJATE wrote:
I am typickly handy, will try anything but framing out a room and dry
way, Just assume higher that out.

but, I was looking at a home with an "interesting" brick pattern.
Worked into the pattern of the brick, are round rocks. In a
symmetrical pattern, there is a strange round rock set into the brick,
the rocks are 6" in diameter, and protrude from the home 4 -6"
it looks like a very basic claiming wall, one might see in a gym. It
latterly looks like some one got in a HUGE mud ball fight in the front
yard, not attractive. I want to remove the rocks and any effected
bricks w/o re-bricking the whole home. How involved is it to remove a
small section of brick? These rocks are round, so I assume they
affect 4-6 bricks. So I will be removing them, getting as much of
the mortar out, and replacing with the closest matching brick I can
find. I can produce more accurate measurements, if needed but in a
10' square of bricks, I would assume there are 4-5 of these rocks in
the pattern. It is a very symmetrical pattern, so I am confidant
that the new off colored bricks will look much better then these
rocks, worst case I can alternate a little paint, or paint the whole
home, once I get thes "zits" off the wall.

So how hard is it to remove random bricks (or rocks) from a brick
pattern, and replace them with new bricks?

how close together can they be before removing them jeprodizes the
integrity of the wall.

As you can image, this home has sat on the market for several months,
and is undervalued, but I think a good investment for me, if I can
get past or fix these silly rocks.

I would not do it. I suspect it will look a lot worse, not only are you
going to have a difficult time trying to match the brick as there are
hundreds of them, you also need to match the mortar and that will be even
harder. The result will then look like someone tried to patch up some
problems as now it looks like someone tried to be artistic.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit