Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default Cathedral ceiling or 2nd floor unused room

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
We want to add on to our antique farmhouse. We would like to do a 24x24
1st floor addition. Much of this space will be family room, but should
it have a cathedral ceiling or traditional ceiling with unfinished
space above it?

Our debate is whether we should do just a cathedral ceiling over that
family room, or make the ceiling normal and then add a bonus room over
that, which would tie into the existing 2nd floor.

A room that big, on a house that old- I'd frame most of the addition
cathedral style, with maybe exposed barn-frame tieing the upper structure
together. If part of the addition is bumpouts from other rooms, I'd put a
loft above, set up as a playroom/office/guest room area. (Guests don't need
a private bedroom, but a little isolation is nice.) Have fun with the loft-
make the 'old person' entry a door from the existing upstairs, but put a
ships ladder and sliding pole down into the family room. Kids will love it.
Seen it done in several houses, always a hit.

aem sends...