Posted to rec.woodworking
Buddy Matlosz

Default New tool idea -- need your opinions! (Hint: one machine instead of a planer AND A jointer)

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...

Buddy Matlosz wrote:
Andrew,

In addition to the other advice and links you've received, here's

another
tip for you as an "amateur inventor": next time you have an idea, don't
broadcast it all over usenet (or anywhere else) - if it's a good idea,
someone will grab it and run with it so fast it'll make your head spin.

Take
it in person to a few knowledgeable people and have them sign a
non-disclosure agreement beforehand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

B.

Buddy,

Thanks for the advice.

Way back as a wee lad, I used to run workshops for inventors, for the
SBA and the SBDCs in a western state. I also have a Wharton MBA, most
of a law degree in intellectual property, and a lawyer father. Finally
-- I work in the Shark Tank of Silicon Valley as a marketing executive.

SO -- I know ALL about patents, inventions, and disclosure. I have a
great law firm. And -- I haven't ACTUALLY "broadcast my idea all over
usenet", if you look at it carefully. ;-)

I've definitely asked people about whether they're interested in WHAT
my widget CAN do.

What I haven't done is describe HOW it does it. And therein, as the
Bard said, lies the rub.

Best wishes, though, and thanks for your concern, seriously!
Andrew

Hey, no prob. Always happy to help a newbie. Think I'll crawl back in my
hole now.

B.