Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.engr.joining.welding
Russ

Default Uses for Old UPSes

On 20 Nov 2005 21:14:33 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

I am the "lucky" owner of a number of older UPSes.

So what can a person build out of these?

The batteries are for the most part dead but the remainder of the
components seem to be in good condition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

TMT

Sure! I have a few of them. I usually get them for free because they
are "broken". I replace the batteries and they are as good as new. I
have even gotten a hold of an expensive "sine wave" UPS. Most UPSs
use a sum of square waves to simulate the 60Hz sine wave. There are
lots of transients and noise, however. Some (expensive) UPSs use a
different type of inverter and produce pure sine wave AC. If you put
an accessory plug in the side, you can use it to keep the batteries
topped off and plug into the accessory plug for volts. Be careful
though, the better ones use 2 12V batteries in series.

Russ