Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.engr.joining.welding
Bruce L. Bergman

Default Uses for Old UPSes

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:52:01 -0600, "RDF"
wrote:

Would a 12 V deep cycle- Optima work in a APC-UPS 1400R I keep my servers
and dyno on with it along with some routers and switches. I don't know the
output, the battery fails and I now have it frightfully bypassed. The
batteries died and are almost 2 bills to replace. voltages ? issues? but I
have a few Optima batteries from wrecked race cars that would be perfect!

If they are 'Red Top' starting batteries, not really. Starting duty
batteries aren't meant to be deep discharged, even if the Optima
starved electrolyte design will take the abuse far better than most
because electrolyte volume is restricted.

If they're the Yellow Top deep-cycle, or the Blue Top Marine
starting/deep cycle, and the voltages are right, yes.

But realize it might work TOO well when compared with a standard
gel-cell battery. Those Optima batteries can deliver frightening
amounts of short-circuit current for several seconds and the circuit
can fry before a fuse can react.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545