Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

Default Kitchen updates

In article , Rex says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article . com, EXT
says...

The tiling in the room looks very institutional especially where it is
tiled
around the tiny window without any window casing. Why is the backsplash
tile
so thick that they had to use those heavy edge tiles? The grout lines are
so
heavy and pronounced. The layout is not bad, and not worth changing but
getting rid of the bad tile job would go a long way to improving the room.

While I see a lot of that type of tile countertops on TV in old and new
houses, in this area they are not considered to be "in", in fact would
devaluate a house. Either solid granite, a sythetic such as Corian, or at
the cheapest, colourcore laminate would look better (in order of
preference).

I don't think the tile all *that* bad, but, OK, I agree it's not great.

Now, if I wanted to inexpensively update the kitchen for my own use for a
couple
of years then resale, I would consider a decent laminate (they do stand
up,
they're on the same expense level as the vinyl tile floor) as I think it
would
look nice and be very functional. Curious - what would be done them about
the
backsplash? Repair the wall, paint, and install something just by the
stove?

Banty

I plan to replace the tile in the entry with a better grade of tile (maybe
stone) and extend it so it connects to the kitchen and then replace the
linoleum in the kitchen with the same tile.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/0b53a653.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/81f9021d.jpg

If you plan to do that amount of work, you might as well fix up the kitchen the
way you like.

If I replace the tile counters with granite slab, I would probably replace
the all the existing tile backsplashes with smaller glass or stone tile
backsplashes in the same areas.

Nice.

Here a granite similar to what one of the choices I'm considering
http://www.garywfuller.net/gallery_3...3-Images/1.jpg . Would a
lighter granite be better with the white appliances?

I'd say that would go better with SS or black appliances (I went with black for
my kitchen remod). Nice.

If you keep the white appliances (but now I think you're talking about the
kitchen you really want - so change them and go with SS or black if you like...)
I'd go with something like this (which a diner local to me has, looks sharp):
http://barefootcounter.com/Granite/1655/index.html

But that's just me.. some lady on Usenet who happens to be redoing her kitchen
too.

Cheers,
Banty