Posted to alt.home.repair
David

Default Oil Furnace Intake Vent

I have some basic questions about venting a closed utility room in a
basement to the outside air.

I am finishing my basement and will be enclosing the utility room from
the living space. In the utility room there is the oil furnace, for
water base-heat and hot water, and the Oil Tank. The utility room is
about 6' deep by 15' long. I live in CT so it gets cold in winter.
The doors will be non-louvered and the walls insulated to the living
space. (I want to keep the noise of the furnace out of the new living
space.) I would like to vent the utility area with outside air for
combustion. The furnace exhaust is already connected to the chimney
stack, located next to the furnace in the basement. The furnace is not
presently designed to have a deticated air intake duct added, so I
believe that I will have to vent the entire utility room.
I guess I would follow the advice of others and simply add a grilled
vent to the outside wall and duct the vent to the utility area. My
question a

1) How do I determine the size of the Vent ducts to match the
combustion requirements of the furnace?
2) Will the outside "cold" air in winter be a concern to freeze pipes
in the utility area, specifically the cold water lines?

Any other comments or suggestions are very appreciated.

Thank you,

David