Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Deborah Kelly

Default OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

Good advice with that formula....I hate it when people who don't have kids
tell me how I should raise mine....lol

as for spanking when they do something really bad yes they do get spanked
and we explain to them why we are spanking them....most the time they get
sent to their room though....

My siblings and I did have physical disciplene growing up and we are not
really agressive or anxious. A study like that can not show conclusive
results because it is based on what people say and people do lie and 'more
frequently' and 'less frequently' are very subjective terms and vary widely
in interpatation.

Deborah

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message
newsIpgf.590447$xm3.493640@attbi_s21...
OK, I haven't been fished lately.

After having 4 kids, I think I've learned a little about discipline. My
first two received spankings as needed. They are very well adjusted, good
kids (13 and 15 years old). My third child did not respond to spanking at
all. In fact, I'm at wits end trying to come up with a suitable punishment
for her (9 years old). I believe that I'm starting to learn that she
responds much better to positive reinforcement. My forth child has nearly
never been spanked. Usually a stern lecture is all he needs (6 years old).

Here's what I've learned about child discipline. The first thing to learn
is
all kids are different. Sending my 6 year old to his room is a much better
punishment than sending my 15 year old to hers. While I believe that
spanking is an appropriate tool to use, it is not a cure all. Each child
should have discipline tailored to their personalities.
The most important thing that I've learned is that consistency is the key.
If you say a child will be punished for a particular action, make sure
they
are punished for that action every time. Multiple warnings are not being
kind to your children, they are confusing to them.

When we had our first child EVERYBODY was giving us advice on the proper
way
to raise them. Often that advice contradicted what somebody else said. We
nearly went crazy trying to figure out who to listen to until we came up
with this simple formula.
1) If the advice giver doesn't have children, throw out their advice
regardless of how much education they have.
2) If they have kids, but you don't like the way their children behave,
throw out their advice too.
3) If they have kids, their kids are well behaved, but not fully grown,
consider what they have to say.
4) If they have grown children, and you respect those children, don't wait
for advice, seek it out from those people.