Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

Default New tool idea -- need your opinions! (Hint: one machine insteadof a planer AND A jointer)

The Rikon product doesn't do what the original poster said.
It won't plane a flat surface on board, it will only plane a
surface parallel to the other side.

Wasn't the original proposal for a tool that would actually
flatten one side before planing the other?

wrote:
Doh!!! That's pretty funny! So much for researching the existing
market. Really, this idea could be a really good one but I don't
think Rikon executed it very well. Maybe the OP could do a better
job. The problems I see with the Rikon is that the tables are way
too short compared to most other jointers, especially the larger
capacity jointers. And, the tables are made out of aluminum instead
of cast iron. And, only a two knife cutterhead. But maybe it works
just great. Rikon supposedly makes pretty good bandsaws but I've
never heard about anything else they sell.

Bruce