Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

Default OT dangerous dogs

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:53:34 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1250411 20051121 160543 Dave Hinz wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:24:17 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:

The general populace have never owned guns for protection - only criminals have
guns.

And, you see that as a _good_ thing?

Yes I do.

You would rather than an armed criminal be safe, and that a homeowner be
in danger?

Whose side are you on, Bob?

If there is one word to describe the British it is "angry", especially on the
roads, and if every driver carried a gun the M25 would soon resemble the Somme.

Yes, yes, we've heard that argument here too. When Florida was (one
of?) the first state to pass laws where law-abiding citizens could carry
concealed weapons, the hue and cry was mighty, about how "blood will run
in the streets", "the Gunshine State" and all that. Not surprisingly
(to me), when non-criminals were allowed to arm themselves, the
criminals found other things to do. Violent crime went down in
Florida, just as it has gone down in _every other state_ with CCW laws.

Oh - and I've driven in England. I found the drivers to be pretty good,
especially in the "be in the proper lane on the motorway, depending on
your speed". I think that maybe your assumption that your contrymen
can't be trusted with deadly force, is unfair. A car, after all, is
deadly force. If they're not ramming each other on the M25, they
probably wouldn't be shooting each other, either.