Posted to rec.woodworking
Nobody

Default New tool idea -- need your opinions! (Hint: one machine instead of a planer AND A jointer)

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:56:53 -0800, theblacksheep wrote:

Doh!!! That's pretty funny! So much for researching the existing market.
Really, this idea could be a really good one but I don't think Rikon
executed it very well. Maybe the OP could do a better job. The problems
I see with the Rikon is that the tables are way too short compared to most
other jointers, especially the larger capacity jointers. And, the tables
are made out of aluminum instead of cast iron. And, only a two knife
cutterhead. But maybe it works just great. Rikon supposedly makes pretty
good bandsaws but I've never heard about anything else they sell.

Bruce

I've been aware of a number of over/under combo machines (a few other
posters mention Rojek, MiniMax, and a bunch of other European mfgs.).

I'm not worried:

A) They don't sell at all well in the U.S. Hey - the Euro combo "5-in-1"
machines are nifty, too, but this market just doesn't go for them, either.

B) They're fairly expensive, as someone else points out, below (one reason
maybe they don't do so well).

But the big reason is this:

C) They ALL still basically use the SAME design that current jointers AND
planers use -- a rotating drum, with feed rollers for the planer part.

So - they all will have varying problems with scalloping and snipe, and
have a high part-cost. NO over-under drum design avoids these fundamental
problems -- they can only tweak the engineering & mfg. better (which gets
more and more expensive).

My design produces a ready-to-finish, (YES, really!) scraper-smooth
surface, with no snipe, far less tearout on roey grain or tricky woods
like B.E. maple, Brazilian (real) rosewood, or (gasp) ebony. And, yes,
I've tested it and it works.

Andrew