Posted to rec.woodworking
wayne mak

Default Any advice on water based stains?

I went down to the local true value store and we mixed a color came home it
needed a bit more red, went back they added some red and it looks good. If
you pretreat the wood it stains VERY even. I looks far better than I have
ever done with oil based. I an VERY happy with the results. After it dries
it can still be polyed with oil based.
"nospambob" wrote in message
I've used TransTint dyes in WB finishes several times. Very versatile
in several liquids. I got mine from www.homesteadfinishing.com where
there are several active forums.

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:14:21 -0500, "wayne mak"
wrote:

I am trying to color match some cabinet doors I bought, I bought 200
kitchen
doors they are the American woodcrafter "Maple Spice" finish. I went to
Depot and had them order the stain its a 2 part stain, ($38.00 for 2
pints)
it seems to be laquer based. Anyhow it doesn't match even close. I can
come
some what close with an oil based minwax but still not what I am looking
for.

I have never used the waterbased stains but minwax looks to have a good
selection of mixes and some of the colors look very close to what I am
looking for. How well do the water based stains work ( I will be using
maple) All I need to stain is the outer cabinet frames and some end
cabinets. Minwax has a good amount of info but thats there sight.