Posted to rec.woodworking
Nobody

Default New tool idea -- need your opinions! (Hint: one machine instead of a planer AND A jointer)

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:52:32 -0800, David wrote:

[snip]

Pretend with me, for the moment, that what I'm saying about the machine
is true, and could be proven -- NOW -- how do you feel about the idea?

Thanks,
Andrew

I'd be seriously interested, Andrew. I can't imagine you hitting that
low of a price point, though.

Dave

Understood -- and looking at existing approaches to jointers and planers,
your skepticism is pretty reasonable.

However - the approach I'm taking is very different. Probably about 3/4 of
the parts (motor, castings, power-transmission & speed control, etc.) are
directly comparable to a very common shop tool that I can buy right now
for $90 - RETAIL. I avoid a lot of the expense since I don't need the
heavy castings of a jointer, or the complicated infeed/roller system of a
planer.

And - for some validation of the technical idea, a MAJOR tool
group patented a hand power tool with a very similar approach (I won't say
which, but it's either Bosch, DeWalt, Hitachi, or Makita), but never made
it. (And, no, their patent doesn't actually interfere, for subtle reasons.)

Andrew