Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ernie Leimkuhler

Default Silicon Bronze MIG Welding

In article ,
John P. wrote:

I just stuck a spool of Silicon Bronze in my new Lincoln Power MIG
255C and am hoping someone might have some experience to answer a few
questions. (My only experience with this type of filler material is
via TIG welding.)

I have a 75 / 25 shielding gas cylinder, but it doesn't seem to matter
if I have it open or closed when using the SB. There is a thin layer
of "soot" coating the weld area after welding, which I simply wire
brush off.

- Am I using the wrong shielding gas?
- Does SB require shielding gas while MIG'ing?
- Anything else I SHOULD know specifically about MIG and SB?

Thanks,

John P.

When using silicon bronze in a MIG you need to use either pure argon or
better an Argon/Helium mix gas.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams