Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

Default Oh no! Buying a toolbox...

"Anthony" wrote in message
. ..
| The best box you can have is LISTA or a VIDMAR (Stanley) IMHO. These
| are industrial boxes designed to take years of use/abuse and still work
| perfectly. EACH drawer will support IIRC 450lbs. Cheap, they are not,
| but I bet you can get one for the same money or less than that snap-on
| you are looking at. Last one I ordered for the plant, 5' tall, double
| width (52"W drawers) with 6" casters was ~$4000. The added benefit being
| that you can customize the drawer configurations to suit you.

They are so durable you can get well worn/abused ones on ebay for a tiny
fraction of that, but you get someone else's colors. Plenty of miles left
on them, though. Not so long ago I had the "pleasure" of overhauling a
number of Vidmar boxes. What kills them is to have the drawer overloaded
with several hundred pounds of bucking bars and to slam the drawers open and
closed. Other than that, they take a beating like you wouldn't believe, and
are built like tanks.