Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default New Water Meters

wrote:
asalcedo wrote:
I am renting the lower ground flat in my house.

I would like to install a water meter so that the tenant pays for
actual water consumed.

I know where the cold and hot water pipes that go into the flat are.
They are inside the property.

Can I purchase two water meters and install them myself?

This way by adding the two readings I would know the water consumed
and could bill the tenant based on the bill for the whole house.

Ideally I would like the tenant to be billed directly, but since the
water meters are inside the property, and dependent on the first main
meter I doubt the water company would do that.

You can get water meters that are mounted internally but read
externally. I don't know the maximum distance between the meter and
the reading point.

It sounds to me like the flat is not really an independent dwelling
(you say *hot* water pipes go into it). The water board may be less
willing to install two meters for you in this case.

MBQ

Heh! the meter's are connected to and as near to the main inlet regardless
of the hot water pipes which has really naff all to do with it.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite