Pufter Pufter is offline
Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4square
On my 1960's house, the eaves soffit boards are level with top of
first floor windows - fairly common, I think. However, I get the
impression from looking from inside the loft that while the concrete
lintel over the top of the window frame supports the inner layer of
brickwork, there is no outer layer of brick/blockwork - there doesnt
look room for it under slope of roof. This means, that inside the
first floor rooms, the brickwork over the windows - about 300mm high -
is only one layer thick, which is probably why it seems to create cold
surfaces of condensation, etc. Am I right in this conclusion, and is
there any way to help insulate the area over the windows? Advice much
appreciated.
My house is the same - about 300mm of blockwork above the window on the inside, the top of the window is level with the soffitt on the outside. When I had new windows put in there was just a gap above the window frame into the loft above. The window frame pretty much filled this, with a piece of quadrant/sealer around the top, & sides. Never really thought about the heat loss consequences of this, but i've never had any problems with condensation or anything.