Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson

Default Is a woodstove worth the money?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yeah, but say I get trapped with no electricity and all my pellets run
out. Then I can't use wood. I can't get to the store to get the
pellets. I'm doomed. I know that silly and I am exagerrating, but I
don't know that I want to have to keep buying pellets from the store.
I don't know what that sounds so bad to me compared to good old
fashioned wood.

So buy either a pellet stove that does not need electric
feed (and buy enough pellets to last the whole season) or
buy a pellet stove that can safely burn wood (and cut some
wood two years before you plan to burn it.)

Do the pellets get the stove hot enough so I could cook on top of it
(with a pan)?

Any stove that gets too hot to touch is OK for cooking --
not necesarily in an open frying pan, but you can slow
cook stews, soups etc. (as we did for 8 days during the
1999 ice storm in eastern Canada.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs