Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

Default New HD TV, what to buy

You should buy a size according to your needs. Any new set purchased should
be an HDTV type. I myself don't like the DLP, or any type of rear screen
technology. They just don't have the performance of the direct view. If you
compare the sharpness and illumination between the rear screen and direct
view, there is a very big difference. There is also a difference in the
price. You get what you pay for.

Basically, for me, it is between the LCD or the Plasma. The Plasma is best
in a dark room, and the LCD is best in a lit room. The Plasma will have a
higher contrast ratio than the LCD, and it looks more like a CRT type
picture. The Plasma has less chances of defective lit pixels. The black
levels in the video will have less shading errors in the Plasma. They are
both very good technologies. If a still image is left on the Plasma screen
for a very long time, it can burn in. LCD screens can have what may be
referred to as a sticking effect, but this would take a long time of no
image movement to accomplish.

The Plasma draws more power, because it is a complex type of tube
technology, and it requires a large power supply to operate. The tube and
its addressing system uses a lot of current. The LCD only uses a backlight
system for its illumination. The LCD panel itself uses MosFet technology
internally to drive the liquid crystal medium. MosFets use low current, and
low voltage to be driven.

--

JANA
_____

"Ziggie" wrote in message
What should I buy if I want to buy today, in 50 to 60 inch HD, DLP or LCD?
How come Plasmas draw so much power, like 400 to 500 W?

Ziggie