John Flanagan

Default Fireplace Mortar vs. Fire Clay

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:16:02 -0600, Steve Smith
wrote:

The mortar I've bought for gas forge use is rated for 3000 F. I'd take
the mortar back.

I'd say! They sold you the wrong stuff or didn't understand what you
were doing. I think I got the 3200°F material. I used the high
density cement which is less insulative but much stronger and will
last longer. The next furnace I make I'll probably only use this
stuff in the bottom and use the less dense, more insulating, material
for the walls and lid. The way it is now it will last for years and
years but it takes a lot of heat to get going and take forever to cool
back down, plus a lot of heat to keep it at temperature.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.