Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Default Ceiling insulation and tiles

wrote:

1. Put up ceiling tiles directly onto the existing ceiling.
Questions:
What would be the best ones to use from an insulation point of view and
where to get them?
What adhesive to use to get a good bond to the emulsioned plasterboard?

This is a silly idea. Unless the tiles are 2" thick or more, they will
not provide sufficient insulation.

2. Put up insulation on the ceiling and then tile over this. The
advantage might be that additional thickness of insulation could be
built up first and then the tiles added.
Questions:
What would be the best insulation to use? I have seen 50mm polystyrene
panels in Wicks BUT, before anyone mentions the fire risk, I do know
about that and was just using these as an example. Wouldn't dream of
using that stuff!
Is there a fireproof / resistant alternative to this kind of insulation
suitable for the job? It would need to have a smooth finish on both
sides.
What adhesive to use to get a good bond to the emulsioned plasterboard
and then what adhesive to use to fix the tiles to this?

There is plenty of height space to add insulation and then tiles.
Obviously, while going to the trouble of doing the job it needs to be
done properly and provide the best insulation possible.

Surely the obvious solution is to make an access hole (like a loft
hatch), then use rockwool insulation. This will be more effective,
cheaper, and makes much more sense than some bizarre "lets stick some
sheets to the ceiling" solution.

--
Grunff