Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Lumpy floors and hanging doors

neil(at)martech-scot(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk wrote:
Whats the groups considered thoughts. At the entrance to the house I
have reinstated a door between the foyer and hall to make the house
warmer but have issues.

A foyer?? In a house? WFT's that? Do you mean a porch?

I have just hung a door and after a few problems with the builder
erected door frame being off vertical, when the door is shut it fits
the hole very nicely with an even 5mm gap across the bottom ready for
the vinyl. However when I open the door it sticks on the floor. After
having a look the floor of screeded concrete which to the eye looks
okay it is infact quite lumpy and has 5 mm hillocks across it.

Rising butt hinges or doing things with the hangings will work,
but have the unfortunate effect of making the door almost self-
closing.

What is the best way around this. Take another 5mm of the door at the
end away from the hinge so that it clears the floor but has an almighty
gap underneath when the door is closed.

Use some self smoothing concrete to bring the floor level up to the top
of the hillocks and then continue into the hall some way so that there
is not a noticeable ramp.

If you're putting vinyl down you want a nice clean flat smooth
floor, so lumps need dealing with. You could hack them down with
a scutch chisel & comp (see:

http://www.footprint-tools.co.uk/ret...ckbolsters.htm )

but the idea of applying a (latex) levelling compound over the whole
area you're going to vinyl is probably best. IIWY I'd get someone to
do it, too, it's not easy without practice. See a flooring contractor
for advice.