Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz

Default ionic breeze ion transformer diode

James Sweet wrote:
HarryHydro wrote:

Hi Folks:
I have two Sharper Image Ionic Breeze units. These worked good
when they worked. One broke about a year after I bought it, the second
broke just recently. Actually, they both seem to be making high
voltage, but now neither are moving air. I suspect the rectifier
diodes in the transformers are shorted. They both just hiss. The last
working unit hissed and pumped air, but now it just hisses, like the
other one. I'm hunting for a supplier for a replacement transformer.
Also, is it me or do these things suck when it comes to reliability?
;-) I did run them 24/7.
Thanks Folks!
Harry

I'd try a microwave oven diode, they're cheap, and most are rated for
500mA, if you're exceeding that in an ionizer then you've got some
serious problems.

Does it not sound like a low voltage power supply if he has a fan
problem? If its a DC fan that's not turning, (look on the fan for its
voltage), it maybe just simple 1 to 3 amp rectifiers at 600/1000piv.
Now, it might be possible that the fan sucked in so much crap that
its froze up. You might be able to clean it out and revive it if that
was the case. You need to determine if there is voltage at the
fan and if the fan is full of crud.

Bob