Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Williams

Default Crucible question?

"George Willer" wrote in message
I suspect so too. In addition, the SIC crucible is more likely to
withstand the high temperature required. What do you plan to use
as a heat source?

LOL, as a matter of fact, both silicon and carbon are soluble in iron.
Bad combination.

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
George Watson wrote:
I am think of making my own tool steel as an experiment
does anyone know, if using a clay graphite curcible that the charge
could absorb carbon from the graphite in the crucible itself

Carbon burns (or dissolves) out of the surface, leaving a clay layer that
holds the metal. Clay-graphite is recommended for steel, IIRC. Leave SiC
to handling nonferrous.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.