Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Installing a new kitchen faucet - I am going to rip the sink OUT!!! going postal!!!

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
news
miamicuse wrote:

OK after I spent a lot of time dis-assembling an old corroded kitchen

faucet
here is a new one I am installing.

Everything is smooth, I lowered the faucet (has two water supply tubes

and a
pull out spray) so I got the washer and the big but and I tighten it

from
below where your whole body is twisted into this unbearable form inside

the
cabinet and under the waste pipes and garbage disposal so you can see

just a
little bit what you are doing. You try your best to tighten this big

nut
and when you are done you hook everything up and open the water and

good -
water out.

So you turn on turn off a few times and the faucet is sort of heavy and
after a few times it starts to wobble a bit. So you get under the sink

and
strange enough the big nut you tightened is now loose so you tighten it
again. Try again and after a few times you have to go under to tighten

it
again. There is no leverage there to use any wrench, well even my

biggest
adjustable wrench won't be big enough and even if it were, there is no

room
to turn one degree.

You may be right to pull the whole sink.
Typically that "big" nut does not leave room even for
a basin wrench to grip it. And the nut must be **real**
tight, or else....

It will be a project though. The sink rim, the countertop,
the disposal and waste piping.

Sit back and have a cold one.

Haven't considered it before, but would it be worthwhile
making a "wrench" to hold the nut while spinning the faucet body
to tighten?

Jim

I have a basin wrench, no luck because the nut is large and thin and sink
big and deep. I am barely able to squeeze in between the cabinet bottom and
bottom of garage disposal.

I went to HD and got another gadget, a set of five hollow pipes that are hex
shape on one end for shower socket. I came back and guess what? The
biggest one will not fit this nut by a hair. So I went back to HD and
finally was able to find a but with same inner diameter but smaller outer
diameter that will fit inside the hollowed pipe wrench.

Problem solved right?

No...

I took the hollowed out pipe and the nut fits. So I drop the faucet through
the hole and went under and slid the tubes through the hollow pipe wrench
and guess what? By the time the pipe is within like 0.1 inch of the
threaded bottom of the faucet, it stopped...why? Because the bottom of the
faucet has three tubes - the hot water tube, the cold water tube and the
pull out spray tube. So the end of those tubes have wider female nuts on
their ends and they will not go through the hollow pipe. They were able to
be pushed through the hole in the sink beause I can "finesse" each one
through a thin hole, but I cannot shove them all into a hollow pipe, and I
need room even with that to slide the rod through to turn.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I
TAKE OUT MY RIFLE AND SHOT THIS SINK TO PIECES!!!!!!!!!!!!

MC