Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Installing a new kitchen faucet - I am going to rip the sink OUT!!! going postal!!!

I have a basin wrench, but this kitchen double sink is so deep and tight the
basin wrench does not work either. There is so little room and leverage.

MC

"Joey" wrote in message
miamicuse wrote:

OK after I spent a lot of time dis-assembling an old corroded kitchen

faucet
here is a new one I am installing.

Everything is smooth, I lowered the faucet (has two water supply tubes

and a
pull out spray) so I got the washer and the big but and I tighten it

from
below where your whole body is twisted into this unbearable form inside

the
cabinet and under the waste pipes and garbage disposal so you can see

just a
little bit what you are doing. You try your best to tighten this big

nut
and when you are done you hook everything up and open the water and

good -
water out.

So you turn on turn off a few times and the faucet is sort of heavy and
after a few times it starts to wobble a bit. So you get under the sink

and
strange enough the big nut you tightened is now loose so you tighten it
again. Try again and after a few times you have to go under to tighten

it
again. There is no leverage there to use any wrench, well even my

biggest
adjustable wrench won't be big enough and even if it were, there is no

room
to turn one degree.

I am now all wet and sweaty. I cut myself from disassembling the old
faucet. I am seriously considering removing the sink so I can get to

the
faucet bottom to really tighten it. Now what I will do with the double

sink
after it is removed I am not sure. I don't know what else to do, the

faucet
is a nice one - Jado single lever with a pull out spray.

Any suggestions?

MC

MC,

Sounds like you need a basin wrench which is made just for that purpose.
I too have a hard time getting under the sink so I just clear everything
out and stack old pillows up until it feels confortable. Having the
right tools is very important in what you're doing. I wouldn't attempt
it without the correct tools. IF you've never done this before, I would
stop and go to Home Depot or Lowes and find a faucet similar to the one
you're installing. Ask someone there to show you what tools are needed
and how it's done. Good luck.