Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

Default Material Recommendation?

wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:56:55 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

schnipp

That'll be 2 Coors twice and eight bucks for Snarl . The link itself
is worth more than that !!

A bargain at twice th' price, eh g.

Actually , two feet of 4140 (1" and inch a quarter) and a foot of
1" ampco 18 cost me less than the bushing set . Part of the reason
I'm making them is because the studs were worn , and I turned them
down just to clean-up , rears at .699" and fronts are .674" now .
The other part is the personal satisfaction of saying I did it
myself ...

Ok, that I'll buy. Looks like they were pretty hammered. Any sign of
grease in/on them when ya disassembled it?

There was some crusty black stuff on the outside that might have been
grease once ... The bushings had worn to the grooved shape of the studs ,
almost thru in one case . Whoever the last guy to run this machine was , I
don't like him . Dad got it in '52 , with a broken tranny countershaft .
Never got it runnin' , never rode it .

Snarl... thanks for th' coldbeers g

Anytime .
--