MichaelMandavil

Default Fireplace Mortar vs. Fire Clay

Hello, Al!

Locate your nearest potter's supply house, and ask if they have clay in dry,
powdered form. If they do, you are in business. If they do not, buy some clay
anyway, dry it out in the oven, put it on a breadboard, and break it up with a
wooden mallet. Make sure to use a mask though, or you will end up with a sore
throat. Good luck!

Michael

Michael Mandaville

Subject: Fireplace Mortar vs. Fire Clay
From: (Mustafa Al-Shawaf)
Date: 7/14/2003 7:53 PM Central Daylight Time
Hi group.

So I want to build the Gingery Charcoal Foundry. I have been looking
around for fire clay, and I finally found a place that said they carry
the stuff. So I paid for it, and when I went to pick it up, I found
out that what they sold me is fireplace mortar. Will this stuff work
to line the furnace? It says that it will withstand up to 2200 F
which seems okay. Also, do you guys think that I can use this in the
green sand mix?

Mustafa