Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher

Default Kenmore Dryer exhaust pipe

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 05:27:36 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

I'm hooking up my parents electric dryer and the exhaust pipe from this
Whirlpool manufactured unit only sticks out half an inch tops. I remember
having a Whirlpool dryer 25 years ago and it had the same stupid design
making it almost impossible to securly put the duct work on it and clamp it
down tightly. My Maytag gas dryer has at least an inch or 2 sticking out
which makes sense. Any idea why Whirlpool did it this may? When I had the
problem 25 years ago, I took off the back and fed the ductwork thru and
attached the clamp and put the back back on. A pain in the rear for a
stupid design.

I have a Kenmore with the short exhaust and was able to hook it up
without any particular trouble. Perhaps the type of external duct you
are hooking it too is the real problem - some of them are so flimsy
it's hard to get them to even go on the outlet, esp the wire/vinyl
ones.