Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Simon

Default Drilling Out Screw

I need a little more help with this project. After successfully
drilling out the center of a broken off screw, I thought the hard part
was over. Apparently not.

Then I used a screw extractor to try to remove what was left of the
screw. I used steady even pressure on the T-bar handle but the
extractor bit twisted off in the screw.

1) How should I have done this differently so the extractor would have
removed the screw without breaking.

2) Is there any hope of removing the extractor now?
Bob

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:24:16 -0600, Bob Simon
wrote:

I broke off both of the rusted screws holding my shower overflow plate
on. I was able to back out the first one using a vicegrips but the
other one broke off too short.

I cut it flat then tried to drill it out with a 3/32 bit but it
sliped. Now I have a dip started in the center plus another grove
down to the side. Do you need to apply a lot of pressure when you
drill out a screw? How do you keep the bit centered?